Monday, June 1, 2009

Economic downturn and nursing

As I hear and read about the financial outlook for the US and I see the legislation that is getting signed into law for Texas nurses, I want to take the time to urge ALL nurses to get malpractice insurance. The insurance is not to protect you against lawsuits (but it does), it is to insure your license. Most malpractice insurance policies protect a nurse's license in Regulatory actions or what is commonly called licensure defense.

It is awful to have a complaint filed you, but to then not be able to afford legal assistance is stressful. Insurance policies are not expensive especially when you consider that you are insuring your career. In my January 2009 blog, I list some commonly found insurance companies/agents in order to give nurses a place to start searching for a policy. And if someone tells you that you don't need a policy, don't believe them. I have posted replies to all the myths surrounding malpractice insurance.