Monday, July 28, 2008

Just because it is something to think about

In the July 14, 2008 issue of NurseWeek, there is a article that I can't seem to get out of my mind as I enjoy the summer. In the Germy Truth about public swimming pools, Connie C. Chettle, RN, MS, MPH, CIC, COHN-C writes, "Fecal accidents are not uncommon in pools. Each day, up to 2 to 3 pounds of feces can be found in the water of an average-sized public pool from fecal accidents and from swimmer's bodies from improper cleansing after bowel movements."**

There is much more to the article (regarding illnesses associated with public swimming pools), but it is the part quoted above that I keep thinking about when I am sitting at a pool. Especially when I see kids sucking the water up and spitting it at each other or when someone gets a mouthful of water. Just join me in saying, "Yuck!!"

**you can read the article without having to pay for the CUE