Monday, June 18, 2007

Why Did I Quit Nursing?

I was asked a few days ago why I quit nursing and went into law. The simple answer is that law fits my personality better. I have always had a difficult time remaining quiet when something happens that "'taint fair". When I was in nursing school, I took up the cause of an LVN that had returned to school to obtain her BSN. She was brilliant, but had a horrible case of test anxiety. She knew everything and could explain in person, but the minute she was placed in a test situation, she froze up. So, she was failing. I went to the professors to plead that they find a way to help her overcome the anxiety because society was going to miss out on a great nurse. I compared her to another classmate that made all "A"s, but had no common sense at all. I told them that she was going to graduate, but that she was going to be a dangerous nurse [about 2 years later, I saw that her license had been revoked]. I was told that it was none of my business and to stop interfering. I told them that I had to intervene because the LVN was too scared and embarrassed to step forward and speak for herself.

Even when I was a child, I could never keep myself from stepping forward to advocate on behalf of someone that could not argue for themselves. What my Mom used to call being a "busybody" has now grown into a well suited career. As for quiting nursing, I didn't really quit. What I have done is to channel my work into a way to help nurses. That is why I call myself a "Nurse Attorney."